Ways to enter Ukraine during the Rashist slaughter

I entered Ukraine for the first time on October 25, 2022, and reached Kyiv on October 27. I though it was a good idea to write about about various ways to enter Ukraine on my myUkraine visit anniversary based on my own two trips because I have seen people including Ukrainians offering wrong directions.

Two important points first:

1. The USG is against its citizens traveling to Ukraine understandably. I went to bring donated items requested by people on the frontline.

2. Train usually is the best choice for quick and comfortable border crossing (minutes instead of hours).


Routes from four different countries based on my own experience.

1. Poland.

The direct train from Warsaw to Kyiv is probably the most convenient. I have not taken this 18-hour overnight(17:00CET to 12:00EET). The train had its gauge change (standard to wide) at Rymachi.

I exited Ukraine to Warsaw by taking the Kyive- Przemyśl Express(no gauge change), then a 6-hour overnight bus (taking a train would require waiting till the next day and a long ride with a detour to Krakow). 



I still do not understand why so many people take this Przemyśl route. I did because I was already in Lviv, so I boarded it at its last stop in Ukraine.


2. Hungary

I wrote a separate post for this route a while ago. Budapest is a beautiful city very friendly to tourists. 

You can take a very comfortable inter-city train at 7:23 (CET) and reach Chop in Ukraine at 13:40 (CET), with no gauge change, then catch an overnight train to reach Kyiv the next morning. The train travels through the beautiful Skolivski Beskydy National Park






3. Romania

Cluj-Napoca is the 2nd largest city in Romania with flights from many European cities. You can take an early train (3:35) to reach the border town Valea Viseului, then take a scenic express train ride to reach Rakhiv, Ukraine in the afternoon.



It is a new service started in January 2023. We all know why Ukraine reopened a railway route to Romania at this juncture.

Many trains to Kyiv stop at Rakhiv, so you can pick one to reach Kyiv the next morning. Rakhiv looks like a very nice town.

4. Moldova.

Chisinau has many flights from other European cities. Kyiv-Chisinau Express was restored last year after 24 years of hiatus.  You can fly to Chisinau and reach Kyiv the next morning via this train. I took it to exit Ukraine.



When you take a train to cross a border, the border check of the exited country is always done on the train but the border check of the entered country may be done after you get off the train. Ukrainian officers are very efficient and friendly.

Except for areas near the frontline, Ukraine is safer than many US cities such as Baltimore, Chicago, San Francisco, Detroit, DC...

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Google's Local Guides program's policy enforcement is the worst

PRC COVID mortality estimate: 3M - 5M

Thoughts on the Rashist slaughter in Ukraine