Google's Local Guides program's policy enforcement is the worst

Google's Local Guides program's policy enforcement is unbelievably bad. It is despicable. Here is what it does things sometimes:

  1. Publishes a review initially, then rejects it later without notifying the reviewer.
  2. Suspends the reviewer's Local Guides account because of the above rejected reviews without notifying the reviewer. They do this to users who have made thousands of contributions over the years benefiting millions of Google Maps users.
  3. Continues to allow a suspended account 
  4. The review rejections are done by their flawed AI. Reposting the review without any changes will get approved often. 
  5. Notifies a reviewer of a rejection without giving a specific reason. This is the worst part. 
  6. It seems that one may get these punishments by posting multiple reviews quickly.

I have not seen any online policy enforcement nearly as bad as Google Local Guides'.

Bing Maps is worth trying. For reviews, Tripadvisor may be a better place.

My journey of  Local Guides:

I have made over 3,000 contributions including 2,680 photos with over 25 million views. I have reached Local Guides Level 8.

My reviews started to get rejected in June 2023. It never happened before. All my reviews of places in Paris were initially published and then rejected later. My Local Guides account was suspended. I appealed and my appeal was approved. I realized that all I needed to do for every rejected review was reposting it without making any changes. Apparently, Google's automated policy enforcement went out of whack. 

A few reviews were rejected again later. I remedied them by reposting them. I suspect it may be related to the timing of the posts (e.g., publishing multiple reviews rapidly). 

In August 2023, I got an email informing some people responded to my posts on Local Guides Connect. When I went there to see them, I saw the following:

You've been banned from Local Guides because you violated the Local Guide program rules. Learn more.

I still could post photos and reviews but I did not realize until September that my reviews can be seen by me only. I appealed again but it was rejected a few days later.

The rejected reviews are for Munich Aiport, Valea ViČ™eului railway station, and Tatariv railway station respectively. All of the reviews are 5-star complimentary reviews. I post reviews of only places that I have visited and usually taken photos of.

Unless Google makes dramatic improvements in the Local Guides' policy enforcement, the program is not worth the time. We make contributions to society with little return except for the satisfaction of helping others. 

There are 150 million Local Guides worldwide. My level 8 means that I reached the top 0.1%. I have read stories from level 9 and even level 10 Local Guides who were banned 



Here are the rejected reviews that may be responsible for the ban:

Munich International Airport:

"It is a very large and well run airport. What I love the most about the airport is the train that can take you to the downtown of Munich. I conveniently took a tour of the beautiful Munich by taking the train by taking advantage of a long layover. The airport staff are very friendly."





Valia Vysheului Railway Station:
"Love this small train station. The station master is a very nice gentleman. There is even a small waiting room with a friendly dog. It is the station where you can take an express train to enter Ukraine."



Cluj Napoca Train Station:
"Busy and convenient railway station. You can get a taxi or Uber ride right outside the station. There are all kinds of stores near the station. You could even walk to the center of the city from the station or take a but at stop conveniently located at the station."



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

PRC COVID mortality estimate: 3M - 5M

Thoughts on the Rashist slaughter in Ukraine